Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Is it September yet?

So, I'm half way into my 3rd day in Quito.  I must admit, it has been a rough few days. Monday I practically was on the verge of tears all day long and at some points I couldn't hold them in.  I attributed this to the lack of sleep and the immediate start of 4 hours of intensive Spanish class. However, my third day isn't much better.  Granted I am controlling the tears a bit more but they're still there.  Why? I'm really not sure.  I do miss home (wish I could be in Mexico with my parents right now). Also, I'm not adjusted to the teaching method in the school.  We don't use books so its hard to practice the things I'm learning.  Also, my teacher talks a ton! Which is good and all for my understanding, but my biggest deficiency in Spanish is speaking, not listening! Now, contrary to popular belief, I don't have much to say most of the time, which makes it hard to practice speaking BUT this morning I was really excited to explain the dream I had.  So, I started class with that and it went well, however after, my professor shared a dream she had once...which took over 30 minutes!! (I may be exaggerating a bit but it felt like forever!) I kept trying to give signals that I was ready to get to the class material, but she kept talking...grrrr.  Also, I feel that when I make mistakes, she laughs at me! NOT a recommended gesture for a teacher! Another thing that makes me anxious to be home is the fact that I will be eating the EXACT same breakfast for the next 8 weeks...and I mean the exact same: 2 scrambled eggs, bread, coffee, and a blended fruit drink.  EVERY MORNING!  I will not want to eat eggs in a very long time! Anyways I am going to start focusing on the positive things bc otherwise these 8 weeks will be miserable! So, tonight there is a group from the school gong out - Ladies Night is what I hear.  Tomorrow, part of our class time will be used for making ceviche! Also, tomorrow night there are Salsa lessons and then time for dancing! Also, I'm hoping to do some sight seeing over the weekend! If things don't get better (Spanish included) I maybe wrapping up here earlier than I planned.  So please keep me in your prayers that I begin to enjoy my time here, I will learn a ton, and that my breakfast changes! :) thanks everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment